Director, Project Management
Location: Toronto, ON
Commitment: Full Time
Department: Project Management
Director, Project Management
Art & Science | Toronto, ON (Remote/Hybrid)
Art & Science (https://artscience.ca) is a full-service marketing agency with pillars in strategy, digital marketing, brand & communication and experiential marketing campaigns. With a ten-year, award-winning history working with some of the biggest brands in Canada, we continue to experience growth and success. Art & Science prides themselves on being smart, strategic thinkers that blend creativity with technology to produce incredible results for our clients. Our mission is to ‘Design the Future of Brands and in the last few years alone, we’ve grown significantly both in terms of new business wins and our team size. Our office is located in Toronto, Ontario in the heart of the creative district. We are seeking a Director, Project Management who will join the Client Services team to manage and lead a group of project managers to provide exceptional client service.
Inclusivity and Accessibility
Art & Science is an inclusive, diverse and accessible work environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, racialized people, Indigenous peoples, people from gender-diverse and sexually-diverse communities, people with disabilities (visible or non-visible), people of different religious backgrounds, people with family caregiving responsibilities and/or people with intersectional identities.
What you will do
- Manage and mentor a group of project managers specializing in brand strategy and design, campaign development, web builds, experiential and paid advertising; the top priority for this role is to build and nurture a team that is highly engaged. (Hint: look up Gallup Q12 to see how we measure engagement on the team). You will do this using our manager framework of regular 1:1s, effective and timely feedback and milestone meetings. You will ensure all team members are clear on their roles, expectations and are set up to succeed. In addition to managing the current team, you will be responsible for hiring and growing the team to meet the strategic needs of our business. You’ll develop a talent pipeline that makes it efficient for us to hire great people as we need them.
- Ensure our client projects are managed with the perfect balance of client retention, satisfaction and profitability; you will do this through rediscovering great project management processes, communicating values across your team and helping them understand how to make decisions about their projects. Although profitability is one of the metrics of success for projects, we see the happiness of our clients as the utmost importance. In that aspect, we will rely on you to represent the agency and instill this mindset into your project managers. You will instill a service mindset with your group not only towards clients but towards all internal stakeholders in order to foster a collaborative PM department.
- Professionalize our Project Management function; there is nothing static about our business and we strongly embody the spirit of embracing change. This means that you will have a hand in defining the PM process through being the collective voice for the PMs to the leadership team. You will establish a defined and structured project management process but still follow your instincts in knowing where to customize it in order to align with our bespoke approach to project management.
Who you are
- You are able to find personal accountability in every situation; to be successful in this role, accountability to our clients, our management team and your own team will make you successful. As we manage projects, clients and people to various degrees, your team needs a sense of accountability in their work and this will start with you exemplifying this value. You are never one to put blame on others and can give us examples of less than ideal outcomes that you’ve taken accountability for.
- You’re an exceptional people manager; every day you will maintain contact with the team, allowing each of them to feel supported in their roles and strongly connected to the department and agency. You are someone who loves to see others develop and grow, and are able to hold a boundary when necessary. You have multiple success stories you’re proud to share of great hires you’ve made and retained.
- You’re a pro at balancing aspirations vs. reality; at this point in your career, you’ve mastered a strategic communication style that is positive under the cloak of practicality. This allows you to approach unrealistic client requests with a “yes and…” mindset that is rooted in project enablement. You’re able to uphold standards and processes and coach others through the nuances. You’re able to look at an aggressive timeline and see it as a challenge to rise up to in the spirit of what is needed.
- You’re entrepreneurial; you know when to redefine a process when it’s not serving us or the client. You’re the type to think outside the box and draw from your diverse set of knowledge, experiences and perspectives which makes you a perfect fit for our ever changing ecosystem.
Why work with us
Being a part of Art & Science allows you to help shape the future of an agency that is just coming into its own. We work in an agency fueled by intelligent, lively individuals in a culture of support and collaboration. Our agency is growing and we’re looking for confident professionals to support that growth. As the Director of Project Management, you’ll be significantly responsible for the successful delivery of projects through meaningful relationships with your team and clients. You'll be surrounded by a plethora of diverse perspectives, values, client types and projects which means no two days will be the same.
In addition to your salary of $115,000 – $125,000 CAD, your compensation package includes a comprehensive health benefits plan, generous PTO, a flexible schedule and education benefits. This position is remote with infrequent travel required for client-facing meetings and if you're in the Toronto area, we’d love to see you in the office from time to time!
How to apply
Interested candidates are asked to fill out the job application form for the Director, Project Management role in our job portal.
We are a respectful workplace committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in fostering an inclusive work environment where all individuals have an opportunity to succeed. We welcome and encourage applications from everyone. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process.
We look forward to hearing from you!