Art & Science is actively seeking a full-time UX Strategist to compliment our fast-growing, award-winning agency. The successful candidate will collaborate with senior staff and clients to lead user experience design efforts across a variety of digital marketing properties, including B2B, B2C and not-for-profit websites.
About Art & Science
Art & Science is an award-winning, boutique digital agency that develops effective digital marketing solutions and experiences for a growing roster of clients, including: Ecobee, Hermes, Intel Canada and Starbucks Canada. Our name is a reflection of our beliefs: that to succeed in today’s marketplace, it takes the inspiration of the artist combined with the analytic rigour of the scientist. We’re talented, agile, work very hard and have a lot of fun.
Art & Science is ranked one of the top Canadian Digital Agencies by clutch.co and has been named by Growth 500 as one of Canada’s top 500 fastest growing companies, two years in a row. In 2018, Art & Science won the Best Tech Work Culture award from Tech In Motion, and were shortlisted by Google for Most Innovative Display Campaign.
The ideal candidate for this role views UX development as a subset of strategy. You understand that in digital experience design, user experience is where strategy is manifested.
Your design decisions support the project goals at every step. When defending your work, your rationale always relates back to the business objectives, communication strategy, SEO recommendations, UX best practices, a clear understanding of the target user—or all of the above.
Working in our clients’ best interests is key. So is openly collaborating with our diverse and talented team. Big egos need not apply!
Finally: Must love dogs (or at least be okay with them.) We regularly have furry friends visiting the office!
About the Role
You’ll be actively participating in discovery sessions with clients (alongside our senior business strategy lead) to help uncover business requirements, target audiences, sales workflows, and industry insights. You’ll also gather insights from our senior SEO strategist; perform your own competitive research; and conduct user research (when in scope).
To give shape to your ideas, you’ll develop user flows, and annotated wireframes; present your recommendations and wireframes to clients; and provide feedback on the UI efforts of our design team to ensure alignment with your proposed strategic solutions.
- Actively participate in client discovery sessions alongside senior staff to help uncover business requirements, target audiences, sales workflows, and industry insights;
- Lead client calls or in-person meetings as needed to gather additional considerations that will inform your UX designs—from target users to internal production processes;
- Perform competitive analysis, synthesize your findings, and create recommendations;
- Collaborate with our SEO team to arrive at recommendations that will inform your UX work;
- Develop written user personas and diagram user flows as needed;
- Create wireframes, annotated for clients and developers alike;
- Present your work to clients;
- Collaborate with the in-house development team to ensure the feasibility of your proposed solutions within time and budget constraints, collaborating on redesigned solutions as necessary;
- Provide feedback on the UI efforts of our design team to ensure alignment with your proposed strategic solutions;
- Participate in frequent in-house scrums, keeping your team abreast of progress, roadblocks and next steps;
- Actively contribute to our evolving UX process, proposing new tools and methods to senior team leads.
The following qualifications and skills will be required to effectively execute the responsibilities outlined above:
- University or college degree in a relevant discipline is preferred;
- 4-6 years of relevant professional experience;
- A strong UX portfolio that demonstrates the ability to solve complex problems and business requirements with smart and thoughtful user-centered design;
- Solid visual design skills with regards to layout, UI and communication design;
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills;
- Ability to manage your own time effectively with given constraints and parameters (e.g. time and budget)
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members, project managers and senior management by setting expectations at all times;
- Ability to stay organized based on your to-dos, and tactical tasks like file organization and timesheets;
- Proficient in Sketch and the Adobe suite;
- Good understanding of responsive, front-end web development;
- Working familiarity with HTML, CSS, JS.
- Interface design, graphic design or illustration skills;
- Familiarity with WordPress;
- Content writing / copywriting / script writing skills;
- Storyboarding skills;
- Development experience (or a keen interest).
- Understanding of best practices in SEO.
Reporting Structure: This position will report directly to the Chief Creative Officer.
Type of Position: Full-time
Work Environment and Perks
- Whole bunch of warm, friendly, talented and smart people;
- Winner of Best Tech Work Culture in Toronto, 2018 Timmy Awards;
- Health benefits plan;
- Fast moving, ambitious environment;
- Wide variety of clients and project types;
- A culture of experimentation, hacking and art creation;
- Personal education budget for courses, conferences, etc.
- Pet-friendly environment;
- Bright, spacious office downtown at Richmond and Spadina;
- Scent-free working environment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to apply by sending a hand-crafted, well-written and bespoke introductory email, along with resume and a portfolio link, to: Kirk Clyne, Chief Creative Officer: email@example.com and Margaret Kwan, Director of Operations: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following in your letter of interest:
- Why are you the best fit for the job?
- Where have you been? (A brief overview of your most relevant experience)
- What are you passionate about?
- Show us your work (A link to your online portfolio of projects)
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Art & Science is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.