Art & Science is actively seeking a broadly skilled Senior Full Stack Developer to be a lead collaborator within our team of creative Coders and Digital designers on a variety of digital experiences from interactive public installations to B2B and B2C websites.
About Art & Science
Art & Science is an award-winning boutique digital agency that develops effective digital marketing solutions and experiences for a growing roster of clients that include Ecobee, Hermes, Intel Canada and Starbucks Canada. Our name is a reflection of our beliefs — that it takes the combination of the inspiration of the Artist combined with the analytic rigour of the Scientist to succeed in today’s marketplace. We are all creators and thrive on a culture of experimentation and serious play, and have the tools, technologies and space to do it in. We’re talented, agile, work very hard (but with a solid commitment to work/life balance) and have a lot of fun.
Art & Science is ranked one of the top Canadian Digital Agencies by clutch.co and has been named three years in a row by Growth 500 as one of Canada’s top 500 fastest growing companies. In 2018, Art & Science won Best Tech Work Culture at Timmys Awards. In 2019 to date we have won 17 awards for our outstanding work.
We are looking for self-learners, for the curious and the inquisitive.
But mostly we are looking for good people.
- You are good people
- You are a veteran coder who no longer lives underground but believes in the power of collaboration and communication
- You are looking to grow into a leadership position within a technical discipline
- You are helpful and a mentor, and willing to give some of your time to the leveling-up of others
- You have a personal GitHub repository and have contributed to one or more Open Source projects
- You are excited by Big Data, machine learning, digital art and continuous deployment
- You are a champion of coding best practices and will set the bar for proactive and complete documentation
- You don’t hate dogs, babies or people that are not like you
- You will fit into, contribute with, and augment our quirky, diverse, inclusive team of real human beings.
You are right for Art & Science if you’ve been nodding your head as you read this and you’re feeling that mixture of excitement and nervousness that says: “I’m a perfect fit – these people GOTTA hire me!”. So what are you waiting for? Write that introduction email that convinces us!
The successful candidate in this role will work on cross-functional teams of developers, creatives and project managers. Additionally, the Senior Full-Stack Developer will be engaged to help technical teams proactively plan and architect their solutions, and will be responsible for the success of any technical project to which they are assigned.
Each team member is typically engaged in 2 – 4 concurrent projects, and so the candidate’s focus will shift throughout the week, working with different teams on different projects. The successful candidate’s workday will be varied throughout the week, but will include a number of the following responsibilities:
- PHP custom development, using Laravel or WordPress as the needs of the project dictate
- Integration with 3rd party APIs via web services and sockets (for example Slack API, Twilio, Eventbrite etc)
- Web markup and website styling, in collaboration with designers, information architects and/or the Chief Creative Officer
- Database schema and design, mostly using mySQL
- Responsive and mobile-first development using CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap or Foundation
- Mobile App development using native platforms (Swift, Java) or multi-target frameworks (Cordova, ReactNative)
How many of these tasks above could you jump right into? Let’s talk!
- Assistance (with CTO) in strategic planning for the department
- Supporting project managers in client-facing technical Q&A
- Task estimation and assistance in resource allocation
- Mentorship and code reviews of peer work
- Version control and documentation
- QA and Automated Test development
- Contributions to team brainstorming and ideation activities
- Participation in offsite industry events such as tradeshows and conferences
- Time tracking and time management in association with project managers and team leads
- Personal self-improvement and continuous learning
- Work full-time from the office in downtown Toronto, during regular business hours
The following skills will be required to effectively execute the responsibilities outlined above:
- HTML5, CSS3 and SASS
- 5+ years coding PHP; strong analytical and algorithmic logic skills
- Data mapping, data design and mySQL
- Demonstrated deep knowledge of WordPress customization best practices
- AWS server commissioning and configuration
- Senior-level understanding of Git for version control
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks such as Angular, Vue, React
- Familiarity with build tools such as Webpack, Gulp or Grunt
- Seasoned user of a proper IDE (please lie if you only use Sublime / Coda) and intimate familiarity with the Dev Tools of various browsers
- Ability to use a Mac as your primary coding computer without feeling ill
This position will report directly to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO). You will have no direct reports initially, but are interested in developing leadership and management experience.
Work Environment and Perks
- Winner of Best Tech Work Culture in Toronto, 2018 Timmy Awards
- Brightly lit and spacious downtown Toronto office at Richmond and Spadina
- Access to in-house Maker Lab for all electronics and prototyping needs
- Education budget, which can be spent towards courses, conferences etc.
- Health benefits plan
- Fully paid-for social events
- Pet friendly
- Very reasonable office hours
How to Apply
Your selection process begins with your decision to research our company and the people you will be working with and for.
Interested candidates are asked to apply by sending a hand-crafted, well-written and bespoke introductory email and resume, along with links to your repos or portfolios to:
Chief Technology Officer
(all other applications from any other channels will be discarded)
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Art & Science is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.