We are looking for a full-time Senior Designer with solid print experience to join our tightly knit Design department.
Our design team is a diverse group of talented introverts and extroverts who share a passion for exceptional design solutions. We have ongoing regular sessions to talk about our passions, share our knowledge, express our insecurities, and celebrate our strengths. We care about ethics, inclusiveness and diversity. Whenever possible, we look for opportunities that will allow each team member to stretch and grow their abilities and to pursue their passions.
This role ultimately reports the Chief Creative Officer, but liaisons with folks across departments as needed, from Project Managers and Developers to Accounts. (We’re a highly collaborative bunch!)
The ideal person for this position will bring some specific qualities to the Design team:
Minimum 5 years of experience, with 2 years in a senior role managing others. You’ll be overseeing the work of small, agile teams on a per project basis.
We require a designer who can straddle the digital-print divide. You will be our go-to print designer, while also participating in digital projects. You may have started in print and transitioned into web, or learned print design later in order to deliver multi-platform integrated campaigns.
We are looking for a brand champion. A designer passionate about branding, who will take the lead on a wide range of brand-focused projects.
Being a well-organized planner will be essential for this role. You bring a natural ability to create structure and well-thought out plans.
As a senior member of our team, you will be both leader and maverick. You will guide the work of others when necessary, while also being able to work solo from start to finish when required. And you’ll collaborate with us to help create a supportive and award-winning design team.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Leading brand discovery sessions with clients to develop new brands and expand existing brands;
- Creating or refining visual identities for new and existing brands;
- Creating brand guidelines for a variety of clients;
- Delivering press-ready files and liaising with printers;
- Directing and coordinating the work of small project-based design teams;
- Reviewing and providing feedback on design work created by internal and/or remote designers;
- Concept development and mood boards;
- Ensuring that design solutions are in keeping with scope and budget restrictions;
- Performing design QA on print and digital projects;
- Supporting the Project Management team by providing accurate time estimates for your efforts, along with frequent progress updates;
- Collaborating with cross-department teams.
- Brand strategy: Able to lead discovery sessions with clients, then conceptualize and articulate new brands for a wide range of clients from different industries;
- Visual identity design: Top shelf design abilities creating new logos and visual identities;
- Creative ideation: Ability to develop original and highly creative concepts and supporting mood boards
- Print & digital design: An eye for layout and typography in order to design a wide range of deliverables, including print, digital, presentation materials, etc;
- Web design: You must be able to demonstrate at least intermediate level ability and experience when it comes to designing responsive web comps;
- Design chops: Your design solutions are exceptional in terms of aesthetics, concept, and ability to effectively communicate key messages;
- Aesthetic range: you’re a “chameleon” of styles who can create work that’s “on brand” across a very wide variety of clients (corporate, consumer, culture, public health) and mediums (digital, print, etc);
- Communication: you have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Presentation: Whether an introvert or extrovert, you are able to present your work to clients effectively, giving them comfort with your design decisions through thoughtful rationale.
Ideal to have:
- Substantial experience designing responsive websites;
- An understanding of accessibility issues in digital design (e.g. colour contrast);
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Nice to have:
- Experience mentoring junior designers;
- Illustration, photography, writing, or video editing skills.
Successful personality traits:
- You’re a conceptual, big-picture thinker;
- You understand both the creative and business side of design;
- You enjoy planning and creating structure;
- You have solid project management skills, effectively organizing and prioritizing your own work and that of small project-based design teams;
- You have great time-management skills;
- You are able to juggle competing priorities;
- You get things done, taking ownership of projects from concept through to execution and completion;
- You have the ability to stay calm, cool, and collected under pressure;
- You enjoy working as part of a team and collaborate well with others;
- You care about your impact on others and creating a culture based on mutual respect.
WHO WE ARE
Art & Science is a creative and digital agency located in Toronto near Richmond & Spadina. We are a close-knit agency that works very much like a family. We trust each other implicitly, are always innovating and have a ton of fun doing so. For more info, visit artscience.ca/philosophy and learn more about our “rules” which should give you a good sense of who we are (short of visiting and meeting folks).
We pride ourselves on having a workforce comprised of people from different backgrounds, experiences, ethnicities and genders, and we’re always seeking to include new people who share these values of inclusivity and diversity. We recently won the “Best Tech Culture” award from Tech in Motion.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PERKS
- Diverse and inclusive team
- Competitive pay based on experience level
- 2 weeks vacation to start, plus paid “agency holidays”
- Health benefits plan, in addition to a Health Care Spending Account (‘HSA’)
- Brightly lit and spacious downtown Toronto office at Richmond and Spadina
- Pet friendly
- Personal education budget for courses, conferences, etc.
- Fully paid for social events
- Reasonable office hours
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are asked to apply by sending a hand-crafted, well-written and custom introductory email, along with resume to:
- Kirk Clyne, Chief Creative Officer, email@example.com
- Margaret Kwan, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following in your letter of interest:
- Why are you the best fit for the job?
- Where have you been? (A brief overview of your most relevant experience.)
- What are you passionate about?
- Show us your work (a link to your online portfolio of projects).
- Tell us why you’re interested in this job.
- What are your salary expectations?
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Art & Science is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.