We are looking for a very special person to join our growing Design department.
Art & Science is an award-winning digital experience agency, proud to have recently been awarded Best Tech Culture.
Our design team is a small, diverse group of talented introverts and extroverts who share a passion for exceptional design solutions. We have ongoing regular sessions to talk about our passions, share our knowledge, express our insecurities, and celebrate our strengths. We care about ethics, inclusiveness and diversity. Whenever possible, we look for opportunities that will allow each team member to stretch and grow their abilities and to pursue their passions.
Whether at the intermediate or senior level, the ideal person for this position will have a very specific skill set.
An aesthetic chameleon: You can create work that’s “on brand” across a very wide variety of clients (corporate, consumer, culture, public health) and mediums (digital, print, social, etc);
An articulate and persuasive presenter. You’re able to present your work to clients effectively and persuasively, giving them comfort with your design decisions through thoughtful rationale.
A champion of brands. You are up to the challenge of leading discovery sessions and brand workshops with clients, and developing exciting new brands and visual identities or revitalizing existing brands.
Equally comfy with print and digital. You will be our go-to print designer, so a deep knowledge of InDesign is a must, including ambitious print design experience (annual reports, etc). But you’ll also be participating in web-based, experiential, and campaign-centered work.
A well-organized planner. You bring a natural ability to create well-thought out plans, while remaining flexible and adaptable to the changing needs of each project.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years experience as a graphic designer, preferably including some agency experience.
- Must have at least 2 years experience working directly with and presenting to clients.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Developing original, highly creative concepts and visuals for digital, print, and campaigns;
- Leading brand discovery sessions with clients to develop new brands and expand existing brands;
- Creating or refining visual identities for new and existing brands;
- Delivering press-ready files and liaising with printers;
- Designing responsive web comps;
- Concept development, mood boards and group critiques;
- Collaborating with cross-department teams;
- Ensuring your design solutions stay within scope and budget;
- Building and presenting slide decks to explain your design solutions to clients and internal teams;
- Supporting the Project Management team by providing accurate time estimates for your efforts, along with frequent progress updates.
SUCCESSFUL PERSONALITY TRAITS
- You’re a conceptual, big-picture thinker;
- You get things done, taking ownership of projects from concept to execution;
- You have great time-management and project-management skills, and are able to juggle competing priorities;
- You have the ability to stay calm, cool, and collected under pressure;
- You enjoy working as part of a team and collaborate well with others;
- You care about your impact on others and creating a culture based on mutual respect.
BONUS SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Substantial experience designing responsive websites;
- Substantial experience designing for campaigns;
- Familiar with common accessibility issues around digital design;
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS;
- Experience mentoring, or directing the work of other designers;
- Skills in illustration, photography, writing, or video editing.
This role ultimately reports the Chief Creative Officer, in terms of performance reviews and weekly check-ins.
Day-to-day, this role follows tasks as assigned by the Project Management and Accounts teams, and liaisons with various individuals across departments to get feedback on assigned tasks.
WHO WE ARE
Art & Science is a creative and digital agency located in Toronto near Richmond & Spadina. We are a close-knit agency that works very much like a family. We trust each other implicitly, are always innovating and have a ton of fun doing so. For more info, visit https://artscience.ca/philosophy/ and learn more about our “rules” which should give you a good sense of who we are (short of visiting and meeting folks).
We pride ourselves on having a workforce comprised of people from different backgrounds, experiences, ethnicities and genders, and are always seeking to include new people who share these values of inclusivity and diversity.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are asked to apply by sending a hand-crafted, well-written and custom introductory email, along with resume:
- Kirk Clyne, Chief Creative Officer, email@example.com
- Margaret Kwan, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following in your letter of interest:
- Why are you interested? Why are you the best fit for the job?
- Where have you been? (A brief overview of your most relevant experience.)
- What are you passionate about?
- Show us your work: share a link to your online portfolio;
- Stick the words “aww yiss” somewhere in your email. (Attention to detail is key for this role. So is following a brief. Plus, it’ll make us smile.)
- What are your salary expectations?
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Art & Science is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.