Art & Science Digital Experience Design is seeking a full-time Intermediate Shopify Developer, to join our team of full stack developers helping businesses build out the future of their brands online.
Inclusivity and Accessibility
Art & Science is an inclusive, diverse and accessible work environment. We strongly encourage applications from womxn, racialized people, Indigenous peoples, people from gender-diverse and sexually-diverse communities, people with disabilities (visible or non-visible), people of different religious backgrounds, people with family caregiving responsibilities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Art & Science will provide accommodations to job applicants throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
COVID-19 and Remote Work
Art & Science is committed to safe and responsible working conditions for all employees and contractors and has been fully complying with all Provincial recommendations for physical distancing and remote work. As such we are conducting all interviews remotely via video conferencing.
We are closely monitoring global best practices and when it is safe to do so, we will be re-opening our downtown Toronto office in full compliance with Provincial, National and World Health Organization recommendations. Consequently, we are only considering candidates within a reasonable commute to the Toronto downtown area (King/Spadina).
You are self-directed, motivated to learn, and are working hard to round out your knowledge of both front-end and back-end development languages, techniques and technologies. You have an analytical mind and are eager to grow your logic and algorithmic skills. You understand your limitations and eagerly request and welcome feedback, guidance and mentorship. You actively seek out solutions on your own but know when to ask for help. You are fascinated by technology and are always on the lookout for new techniques or tools that can help you deliver solutions more quickly or efficiently. You are not afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
You are an effective and proactive communicator and leverage a variety of channels to provide timely and appropriate signals to your colleagues. You are respectful and tolerant of all genders, orientations, races, creeds, body types and ability, and do your part to create a safe, accepting and accessible environment.
You will report to the Chief Technology Officer but will also benefit from active and structured mentorship from other seasoned developers within the company who will share the responsibility for your success and continued evolution as a programmer and as a productive member of the team.
Day-to-day you will be assigned to one or more project teams tasked with building out solutions for a diverse portfolio of high-profile clients. Your work week will be varied and will consist of a mix of the following:
- Shopify builds and customized business / checkout logic, Shopify API interactions
- HTML and CSS (SASS) coding and styling
- Working with design assets (like InVision or Sketch files)
- Team scrums, design/UX reviews
- Quality Assurance (QA) and bug fixes
- One-on-ones, code reviews and other learning opportunities
(Totally optional, but mention anything relevant in your application!) While the bulk of our billable work can be described as “web development” activities, you may have the opportunity to exercise or learn more esoteric skills such as:
- WordPress builds, custom business object creation, custom Admin UX development
- PHP back-end coding (WordPress, Laravel)
- Mobile / Single-Page Web App development
And even more rare (and special!)
- Unity game development / VR / AR
- Physical computing / Arduino / sensors / robotics / electronics
- Digital artwork / experimental visual/audio coding
- Research and Development / User Experience design
Additional Professional Responsibilities
There’s more to coding than, well, coding. You’ll also regularly do the following:
- Use Version control (Bitbucket)
- Update and create content within WordPress or Shopify
- Read, update and write documentation
- Review design wireframes and static design comps
- Communicate proactively with project managers and members of your team
- Contribute to team brainstorming and ideation
- Demonstrate mutual respect for all coworkers and clients, regardless of race, gender, creed, ability or body type
Setting you up for success
At Art & Science we believe that we are responsible for each-others’ success and we grow together as a team. We take care not to drop folk into situations without preparation, guidance and oversight. Here’s how we set you up for growth and success:
Mentorship, One-on-ones and Code Reviews
You will meet with your mentor(s) on a regular basis. Your mentors are charged with setting you up for success, so take advantage of them as a resource! You will learn from their advice on code quality, solution approaches, office communication strategies, and skill training.
You will also meet with frequently with members of your team for peer code reviews. These sessions are focused on honing your craft and typically consist of taking a look at code you have recently been working on or addressing programming challenges you have been recently wrestling with.
You will also have formally scheduled regular meetings with your manager / lead for one-on-ones throughout the year. The purpose of these is to provide a dedicated time for constructive conversations about your performance, team dynamics, your career path and any issues you are having in the workplace.
Less frequently, you will have scheduled confidential meetings one-on-one with the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) who will listen to your feedback, ideas and concerns, and share with you valuable insights into the higher-level strategies and directions of the company.
What Do We Offer?
Art & Science is a digital agency located in Toronto near King & Spadina. We are a close-knit agency that works very much like a family. We trust each other implicitly, are always innovating, and have a ton of fun doing so. For more info, visit https://artscience.ca/ and spend some time there getting to know us!
We pride ourselves on having a workforce comprised of people from different backgrounds, generations, experiences, ethnicities and genders, and are always seeking to include new people who share these values of inclusivity and diversity.
- A diverse and inclusive team
- A fast-paced yet supportive environment
- Interesting projects that are always changing up and challenging us
- Opportunities to play with cool tech
- Regular, monthly lunch-and-learns on a variety of cool topics
- Mentorship and coaching in a collaborative fashion
- Reasonable office hours and great work/life balance
- Potential to evolve into a permanent staff role
How to Apply
This is really important. Read carefully.
Interested candidates are asked to apply by sending a hand-crafted, well-written and custom introductory email, along with resume to:
Tom Auger, CTO, firstname.lastname@example.org
Cc: Margaret Kwan, Director of Operations, email@example.com
Please include the following in your introductory email:
- Why might you be a good fit for this role?
- Why is Art & Science a good fit for YOU?
- Where have you been? (A brief overview of your most relevant experience.)
- What are you passionate about?
- Show us your work (a link to your online portfolio of projects)
- Do you require any accommodation or consideration during the interview process?
- What are your salary expectations / salary range?
The more time you take with this, the more likely you are to get a response!
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.