Art & Science is actively seeking a broadly skilled Full Stack Developer to collaborate with our team of creative Coders and Digital designers on a variety of digital experiences from interactive public installations to B2B and B2C websites.
About Art & Science
Art & Science is an award-winning boutique digital agency that develops effective digital marketing solutions and experiences for a growing roster of clients that include Ecobee, Hermes, Intel Canada and Starbucks Canada. Our name is a reflection of our beliefs — that it takes the combination of the inspiration of the Artist combined with the analytic rigour of the Scientist to succeed in today’s marketplace. We have a well-appointed Maker Lab that can handle all our in-house electronics and prototyping needs. We’re talented, agile, work very hard and have a lot of fun.
Art & Science is ranked one of the top Canadian Digital Agencies by clutch.co and has been named two years in a row by Growth 500 as one of Canada’s top 500 fastest growing companies. In 2018, Art & Science won Best Tech Work Culture at Timmys Awards and were shortlisted by Google for Most Innovative Display Campaign, to name a few of our recent accolades.
We are looking for self-learners, for the curious and the inquisitive.
But mostly we are looking for good people.
- You are good people (and an inquisitive self-learner!)
- You have a personal GitHub repository and have contributed to one or more Open Source projects. If some of those projects are IoT or Maker projects, so much the better.
- You like music and art – maybe you are even an artist or a musician yourself?
- You are not a cynophobe – we occasionally have (small) dogs at the office!
- You will fit into, contribute with, and augment our quirky, diverse, inclusive team of real human beings (and a few dogs).
You are right for Art & Science if you’ve been nodding your head as you read this and you’re feeling that mixture of excitement and nervousness that says: “I’m a perfect fit – these people GOTTA hire me!”. So what are you waiting for? Write that introduction email that convinces us!
The successful candidate in this role will work on cross-functional teams of developers, creatives and project managers. Each team member is typically engaged in 2 – 4 concurrent projects, and so the candidate’s focus will shift throughout the week, working with different teams on different projects. The successful candidate’s workday will be varied throughout the week, but will include a number of the following responsibilities:
- PHP custom development, using Laravel or WordPress as the needs of the project dictate
- Integration with 3rd party APIs via web services and sockets (for example Slack API, Twilio, Eventbrite etc)
- Arduino and Processing development and electronics on interactive installations requiring physical interactions
- Web markup and website styling, in collaboration with designers, information architects and/or the Chief Creative Officer
- Database schema and design, mostly using mySQL
- Responsive and mobile-first development using CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap or Foundation
- Mobile App development using native platforms (Swift, Java) or multi-target frameworks (Cordova, ReactNative)
- Physical prototyping
- UX/UI, Wireframing, Application Flows
How many of these tasks above could you jump right into? Let’s talk!
- Version control and documentation
- QA and Automated Test development
- Contributions to team brainstorming and ideation activities
- Participation in offsite industry events such as tradeshows and conferences
- Time tracking and time management in association with project managers and team leads
- Personal self-improvement and continuous learning
- Work full-time from the office in downtown Toronto, during regular business hours
The following skills will be required to effectively execute the responsibilities outlined above:
- HTML5, CSS3 and SASS
- 2+ years coding PHP; strong analytical and algorithmic logic skills
- Data mapping, data design and mySQL
- WordPress customization, custom queries, taxonomies, custom post types.
- Competent use of Git for version control
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks such as Angular, Vue, React
- Familiarity with build tools such as Webpack, Gulp or Grunt
- Seasoned user of a proper IDE (please lie if you only use Sublime / Coda) and intimate familiarity with the Dev Tools of various browsers
- Ability to use a Mac as your primary coding computer without feeling ill
This position will report directly to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Work Environment and Perks
- Winner of Best Tech Work Culture in Toronto, 2018 Timmy Awards
- Brightly lit and spacious downtown Toronto office at Richmond and Spadina
- Access to in-house Maker Lab for all electronics and prototyping needs
- Education budget, which can be spent towards courses, conferences etc.
- Health benefits plan
- Fully paid-for social events
- Pet friendly
- Very reasonable office hours
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to apply by sending a hand-crafted, well-written and bespoke introductory email and resume, along with links to your repos or portfolios to:
Chief Technology Officer
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Art & Science is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.