Art & Science is actively seeking a broadly skilled Full Stack Developer to collaborate with our team of creative developers and technical designers on a variety of digital experiences from interactive public installations to B2B and B2C websites.
Inclusivity and Accessibility
Art & Science is an inclusive, diverse and accessible work environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, racialized people, Indigenous peoples, people from gender-diverse and sexually-diverse communities, people with disabilities (visible or non-visible), people of different religious backgrounds, people with family caregiving responsibilities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Art & Science will provide accommodations to job applicants throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
- You are self-directed, motivated to learn, and are working hard to round out your knowledge of both front-end and back-end development languages, techniques and technologies.
- You are inquisitive, have an analytical mind and are eager to grow your logic and algorithmic skills. You understand your limitations and eagerly request and welcome feedback, guidance and mentorship.
- You actively seek out solutions on your own but know when to ask for help.
- You are fascinated by technology and are always on the lookout for new techniques or tools that can help you deliver solutions more quickly or efficiently.
- You are not afraid to step out of your comfort zone. You thrive in an active environment and like to work on a wide variety of projects.
- You are an effective and proactive communicator and leverage a variety of channels to provide timely and appropriate signals to your colleagues.
The successful candidate in this role will work on cross-functional teams of developers, creatives, project managers, account managers and digital marketers. Each team member is typically engaged several concurrent projects, often a mix of green-field/new builds as well as ongoing maintenance and support of legacy projects. The successful candidate can shift their focus throughout the week, working with different teams on different projects. The successful candidate’s workday will be varied throughout the week, but will include a number of the following responsibilities:
- PHP custom development, using Laravel and WordPress as the needs of the project dictate
- Integration with 3rd party APIs via web services and sockets (for example Slack API, Twilio, Eventbrite etc)
- Logging into servers via SSH and using the command line to perform rudimentary tasks on remote servers
- Web markup and website styling, in collaboration with designers, art director, UX strategists, information architects
- Database schema and design, mostly using MySQL
- Responsive and mobile-first development using CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap or Foundation
- Version control and documentation
- Ongoing support and maintenance of legacy / retainer projects
- QA and Automated Test development
- Contributions to team brainstorming and ideation activities
- Time tracking and time management in association with project managers and team leads
- Personal self-improvement and continuous learning
Level of importance of the requirement to the successful performance of the key activities of the position is defined as C – critical, I – important or N – nice to have.
- HTML5, CSS3 and SASS (C)
- 2+ years coding PHP; strong analytical and algorithmic logic skills (C)
- Data mapping, data design and MySQL (I)
- WordPress customization, custom queries, taxonomies, custom post types. (C)
- Familiarity with a modern PHP application framework such as Laravel (C)
- Competent use of Git for version control (C)
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks such as Angular, Vue, React (I)
- Familiarity with build tools such as Webpack, Gulp or Grunt (N)
- Seasoned user of a proper IDE and intimate familiarity with the Dev Tools of various browsers (I)
- Ability to use a Mac as your primary coding computer (I)
This position will report directly to the Tech Team Lead.
Work Culture and Perks
Art & Science is a pure digital agency located in Toronto near Adelaide/Spadina. We are a close-knit agency that works very much like a family. We trust each other implicitly, are always innovating and have a ton of fun doing so. For more info, visit https://artscience.ca/philosophy/ and learn more about our “rules” which should give you a good sense of who we are (short of visiting and meeting folks).
We pride ourselves on having a workforce comprised of people from different backgrounds, experiences, ethnicities and genders, and are always seeking to include new people who share these values of inclusivity and diversity.
- Mentorship/coaching in a collaborative fashion
- 2 weeks vacation to start, plus paid “agency holidays”
- Defined health benefits in addition to a Health Care Spending Account (‘HSA’)
- Access to in-house Maker Lab for all electronics and prototyping needs
- Education budget, which can be spent towards courses, conferences etc.
- Dog-friendly environment
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to fill out the job application form in our job portal.
In the job application form, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Personal Contact Details (Name, Email, Phone, Pronoun(s))
- Cover Letter
- Up to 2 examples of your work
In addition to the above, you will be asked the following questions:
- Why are you the best fit for the role?
- Where have you been? (A brief overview of your most relevant experience.)
- What are you passionate about?
- Salary expectations
- Whether you need any accommodations in the interview process
Our hiring manager takes time to review these applications. The level of effort you put into this application process is taken into consideration when assessing candidates to move into the next round.
COVID-19 and Remote Work
Art & Science is committed to safe and responsible working conditions for all employees and contractors and has been fully complying with all Provincial recommendations for physical distancing and remote work. As such we are conducting all interviews remotely via video conferencing.
We are closely monitoring global best practices and when it is safe to do so, we will be re-opening our downtown Toronto office in full compliance with Provincial, National and World Health Organization recommendations. Consequently, we are only considering candidates within a reasonable commute to the Toronto downtown area (Adelaide/Spadina).
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.