Art & Science is looking to connect with Freelance Senior Project Managers with at least 6 years of managing a range of projects related to digital marketing campaigns, branding, strategy, technical builds and asset production.
Inclusivity and Accessibility
Art & Science is an inclusive, diverse and accessible work environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, racialized people, Indigenous peoples, people from gender-diverse and sexually-diverse communities, people with disabilities (visible or non-visible), people of different religious backgrounds, people with family caregiving responsibilities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Art & Science will provide accommodations to job applicants throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
- You have a minimum of 6-8 years agency experience managing a range of projects including:
- Technical builds and website refreshes; with a strong understanding of web development and the design process.
- Campaign Development; a mix of traditional (broadcast/print) and digital campaigns and production.
- You have the ability to translate complex scope and timeline into small workable chunks. You can explain complex issues and present them in a way that clearly demonstrates impact and understanding.
- You are passionate about leading a project team to do their best and translate success metrics.
- You think strategically about communication and tailor your communication style or method to the project type, stakeholders and team members.
- You have a deep understanding of project management methods for both Agile and Waterfall and know when/how to apply processes to your projects.
- You have a deep understanding of campaign production and know when/how to create and/or apply processes to your projects.
- You believe adaptability and fluidity matter greatly in a project— just because you’ve planned something doesn’t mean things won’t change mid-stream and you can adapt to change course to meet the objectives.
- You are a multi-tasker and can manage multiple projects at once. You know how to manage your own time to schedule competing priorities.
- You don’t just set a timeline and let the project run itself; you ensure your team and all stakeholders are informed every step of the way and have the data to back it up.
- You understand the core of your success is managing expectations and understand most issues can be resolved by setting the right expectations at the right time.
- You are customer-service oriented and always communicate with respect and professionalism.
- You are prepared to go the extra mile to keep clients happy, revel in a challenge, and are always looking to excel, learn and grow.
Level of importance of the requirement to the successful performance of the key activities of the
position is defined as C – critical, I – important or N – nice to have.
- 6 to 8 years experience managing projects from end-to-end utilizing agile AND waterfall delivery methods (or anything in between) and a strong background in campaign management.
- On waterfall – from project discovery, planning project timelines and budget, team resourcing, during project sprints, to QA and launch (C)
- On agile – from discovery sessions, stakeholder interviews, defining MVP, negotiating must-haves vs nice-to-haves, user stories, acceptance criteria, retrospective, managing backlogs and budgets (C)
- On campaign management – from brief, campaign strategy, creative concepts, to media production and asset trafficking/delivery (C)
- Experience working in an agency environment working with integrated teams (C)
- Experience managing a variety of projects:
- Custom-build WordPress sites (C)
- Branding projects C)
- Digital marketing campaigns (e.g. Facebook Ads, Google Display, Google Adwords) (C)
- Print/video campaigns (C)
- Shopify projects (N)
- Email marketing campaigns (N)
- Strong understanding of content management systems such as WordPress and e-commerce platforms like Shopify (C)
- Investigative skills; looking at the full spectrum of the issue or request to identify the cause and pull together the necessary information for the team (C)
- Project Management Certification (N)
- Agile Certification (N)
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS (N)
- Certification in digital marketing, web development, design, content strategy or related study.
Planning and Initiation
- Onboarding: Support Account Manager prepare detailed Statements of Work & Change Orders.
- Estimates: Assist with facilitating the estimation of work effort for maintenance projects.
- Define Project Approach and Process: Depending on the project, determine the most appropriate project approach (the how?). Produce a work back schedule by facilitating the team to plan out more detailed design and development cycles, identifying key areas that require client and team interactions.
- Team Briefing: Kick-off project with team to translate project goals, scope of work, and budget and timing.
- Setting Project Cadence: Schedule regular scrums or touch points with team and client that is right for the project.
- Project Set Up: Work within the previously established project management tools, file sharing system, drafting and sending invoices.
Running a Project
- Communication Management: Determine the appropriate mode of communication depending on the situation: in-person, slack, email, phone. Run effective meetings by stating agenda and goals. Keep project sponsor and account leads informed of project progress. Filter communication to the right team member at the right time.
- Budget Management: Maintain project budget by setting expectations with team and client on budget availability, raises hand when budget is at risk and proactively propose next steps to manage budget risk
- Task Management: Taking the initiative to troubleshoot the issue to the fullest extent of your ability before translating the issue to the appropriate resource within the team. Prioritize tasks effectively for team members (e.g. in a sprint). Manage task effectively in JIRA and write good tickets.
- Change Management: Manage changes during a project with fluidity by understanding the ask and goals. Assess the impact of changes and recommend the best course of action.
- Risk Management: Identify roadblocks and risks, and facilitate solutions rather than just stating the roadblocks and risks.
- Quality Assurance (QA): Perform detailed QA of deliverables and spot issues before client or account lead raises them.
- Deployment: Is prepared when managing the launch of a project by giving the teams heads up and schedule launch dates with clients. Ensure pre-launch and launch tasks are completed.
Project Team Leadership
- Maintain a balanced team morale during the project. You are a cheerleader when the team needs it. You are realistic and challenge solutions and processes when necessary.
- Not afraid to resolve tension. You maintain resilience when facing challenges in a project. You identify tension in team or client during project and pro-actively works towards resolving tension
- Look for opportunities: Work with the Account Manager to proactively look for upgrade and renewal opportunities with client.
This position will report directly to the Associate Director of Project Management and Director of Operations.
- While your engagement with us will be on a part-time or contract basis, it’s still important to understand our culture at Art & Science. We trust each other implicitly, are always innovating, and have a ton of fun doing so. For more info, visit our Philosophy page and learn more about our “rules” which should give you a good sense of who we are (short of visiting and meeting folks).
- Brightly lit and spacious downtown Toronto office at Adelaide and Spadina (although we’re currently working remotely because of COVID-19)
- Pet friendly
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to apply by submitting an introductory email.
Your email should include all of the following:
- Why are you a good fit for the role?
- Where have you been? (A brief overview of your most relevant experience.)
- What are you passionate about?
- Examples of your work (e.g. planning documents like agile/waterfall project plans)
- Salary expectations (e.g. hourly rate)
- General availability (e.g. how many hours a week could you typically work?)
- Whether you need any accommodations in the interview process
COVID-19 and Remote Work
Art & Science is committed to safe and responsible working conditions for all employees and contractors and has been fully complying with all Provincial recommendations for physical distancing and remote work. As such we are conducting all interviews remotely via video conferencing.
We are closely monitoring global best practices and when it is safe to do so, we will be re-opening our downtown Toronto office in full compliance with Provincial, National and World Health Organization recommendations. Consequently, we are only considering candidates within a reasonable commute to the Toronto downtown area (Adelaide/Spadina).
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.