Art & Science Digital Experience Design is seeking a full-time Design Intern.
This is paid position with a contract of 3 months, that includes the possibility to evolve into a Junior Designer role for the right person.
The role is ideal for an individual focused on web design and graphic design, and who’s looking to gain a wide range of experience in a digital marketing agency.
The role focuses on the creation of responsive web UI comps, and ad-hoc designs, graphics, print design, illustration and presentation decks as required by the Creative, Sales, and Performance Marketing departments. (Please note, this is not a UX role. Any interface design work will be informed by materials created by our UX Strategist.)
Responsibilities and Tasks
The role does not include a formal set of responsibilities, but anticipated activities may include:
Website and UI Design:
- Creating responsive UI designs for clients;
- Creating ‘style guides’ of your work to assist the web development team;
- Website content entry, along with drag-and-drop page design;
- Performing quality assurance testing on websites pre-launch;
- Designing new case studies (“Work” pages) for the A&S website;
Graphics, Design and Social
- Creating print work for clients (ads, reports);
- Creating ad hoc graphics, advertisements, social media content, diagrams, infographics or illustrations;
- Sourcing stock images, music, or video;
- Sourcing or creating imagery for blog articles and social media content;
- Improving the appearance of Sales presentation decks and mailers;
- Creating sketches, mood boards and other visual elements for presentation decks;
- Creating assets for the Performance Marketing team (banner ads, social ads);
- Supporting and/or managing our internal social media schedule;
- Creating sales presentations in Keynote or Google Slides.
- Supporting the Project Management team by providing accurate time estimates for your efforts, along with frequent progress updates;
- Assisting the Office Admin with office-related tasks.
- Graphic design and web design portfolio demonstrating a variety visual styles, and ultimately deliverables (web, print, illustration, social);
- Experience designing responsive website comps;
- Working familiarity with HTML and CSS (some light coding will be required);
- Experience with Keynote and Google Slides.
- Nice to haves:
- Illustration, photography, copywriting, research or UX skills;
Successful Personality Traits
The role will require:
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Great time-management skills
- Ability to juggle competing priorities
- A solution-oriented mindset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A broad, “generalist” skill set
- Ability to work efficiently with different departments and team members.
This role ultimately reports the Chief Creative Officer, in terms of performance reviews and weekly check-ins.
Day to day, this role follows tasks as assigned by the Project Management and Accounts teams, and liaisons with various individuals across departments to get feedback on assigned tasks.
What Do We Offer?
- Diverse and inclusive team
- Fast-paced, supportive environment
- Mentorship and coaching in a collaborative fashion
- Dog-friendly environment
- Reasonable office hours
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Potential to evolve into a permanent staff role
Art & Science is a digital agency located in Toronto near Richmond & Spadina. We are a close-knit agency that works very much like a family. We trust each other implicitly, are always innovating, and have a ton of fun doing so. For more info, visit https://artscience.ca/philosophy/ and learn more about our “rules” which should give you a good sense of who we are (short of visiting and meeting folks).
We pride ourselves on having a workforce comprised of people from different backgrounds, experiences, ethnicities and genders, and are always seeking to include new people who share these values of inclusivity and diversity.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to apply by sending a hand-crafted, well-written and custom introductory email, along with resume to:
- Kirk Clyne, Chief Creative Officer, email@example.com
- Margaret Kwan, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following in your letter of interest:
- Why are you the best fit for the role?
- Where have you been? (A brief overview of your most relevant experience.)
- What are you passionate about?
- Show us your work (a link to your online portfolio of projects).
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Art & Science is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.